[3830] CQWW SSB NN3W(@N3HBX) SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 27 17:06:36 EDT 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3W
Station: N3HBX

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Poolesville, MD

  160:   74    14       42
   80:   97    17       60
   40:  728    28      105
   20: 1295    37      138
   15:  967    31      122
   10:   23     6       11

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A big thank you to John N3HBX for letting me use the Poolesville station.  After
this weekend, lets hope it continues................

An emotional weekend.  Yes, there is an (A) next to the category listing.

I blew up the 80 meter wire yagi last weekend during the WAG.  The weather
forecast for this weekend called for heavy rain and thunder.  So, I decided to
go assisted and have fun.  The first evening was miserable.

Being assisted, I decided to run N1MM.  Not a good choice.  For some reason,
one of the two Orions would time out after 1 QSO and I had to restart several
times.  At around 0045z, I said "thats it" and switched to CT.  Spent the next
15 minutes working stations and telling them, yes, I know its a dupe but log it
anyhow.

The next nightmare began around 0200z when I tried using the remaining
"working" 80 antennas - a 2 element Lazy H array and an inverted vee.  The Lazy
H didn't work.  DF0HQ CQed in my face.  9A1P CQed in my face.  I got beat out to
CU2X by a KG4xxx, a W5, and a W0 station.  I could not be heard by the pig
farmers.  I was ready to quit.

I worked for a little while longer and decided to sleep on it around 0345z.

Woke up around 0930z, worked 40 SSB which was terrific, and decided to press on
and quit at 1,000,000 points.  Went to 20 at thought what was an early time and
found it to be mayhem.  15 was outstanding from the mid-atlantic on Saturday
and a good diversion to 20.  I then decided to stay until 2359z Saturday.
Things got better, worked some terrific DX, looked at my 2359z score and
decided to work until the end.

Finally used the Sweepstakes inverted vee on 80; it was acceptable although
deep Europeans could still not hear me.

Sunday was a tremendous day with great openings on 15 including one hour where
the QSOs were rolling in at 6 or 7 a minute.  20 was a zoo, but the variety of
DX kept me running.  Guys in TJ, JW, 5H, VU, HS, FO, ZK2, KH0, VK6, SU and
other juicy spots all called in - heightening my mood substantially.

If I had the 80 antenna or some 10 meter conditions, the score would really
have been good.

Anyhow, my latest round of random thoughts:
- OX2A...my god, you would have thought he was in P5.  Absurd pileups.
- 10 meters.  Ummm....Wow.  Is that still an amateur band?
- 40 SSB between 7125-7200 was almost worse than 20 SSB.  At least on 40 SSB I
get to listen to some nice Chinese or Arabic music and a loud carrier.  Oh
wait, I was running on 14.220 - I could hear nice Chinese music.
- What in the world is that RTTY stuff on 14.171?
- First time I heard JAs on 15 in about 4 years
- You guys that go to PJ2 or TO or 6Y for contest expeditions, thank you, thank
you for making 160 and 10 exciting.
- Amazing propagation on 40 - worked UA3s at 0930z and Gs at 1030z.  You in the
CW contest should get close to 48 hour access to 48 meters
- Where were VK9DWX and the 9L expedions?  You'd think after 3 weeks on the
island, they'd want to work more stations out of sheer boredom.