[3830] CQWW CW G0CKV SOSB/40 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Dec 2 15:52:35 PST 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G0CKV
Operator(s): G0CKV
Station: G0CKV

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: London, UK

   40:  757    30      105

With professional and family commitments leaving little time for play last
weekend I was about to forget CQWW entirely.

But coming back from a trip abroad last Thursday I put my K3 to work with a
MKII box and WinTest in the evening and on Friday afternoon I installed a 30ft
vertical in the rear garden. That location is well screened from desirable
radiation by a protective wall of neigbouring houses and dense very wet
vegetation.

I managed to put in 20 hours on 40m with the K3 and I had real fun. I did
better last year with a loop and two 756s but I also put in 8 hours more then.

I ended up with 757 qsos, 30 zones and 105 dxcc before CQ penalize me for all
those 599 exchanges I messed up. I heard much more but couldn't get through or
didn't have the time to work them.

Generally I find operator standards and signal quality quite good. With low
power and a well screened radiator I do almost all S&P, running doesn't work
except possibly midday for Europeans. In moving up and down the band S&P-ing I
have come to hate the cluster. My opportunity is to find and work the DX before
the cluster mob hits. With low power and poor antenna situation I can't
penetrate the cluster wall. And no one can hear the DX anyhow because everyone
just send their signal over and over and over again. The operating style of the
cluster mob is not beneficial for my general mood.

There is no way back however. The cluster (and other
technology) is here to stay and it is clear that many are having fun thanks to
the cluster and that the cluster enables many newcomers to the hobby to work DX
they otherwise wouldn't be able to find.

I am now hoping that I will be more successful in blocking the CQWW weekend
from social interference next year.

Olof G0CKV