[3830] ARRL 160 N1LN M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 6 12:01:15 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N4CW, W0UCE, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 1772  Sections = 79  Countries = 50  Total Score = 529,158

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow - that was fun!

To say this was a simply a fun time would be a major understatement.  Once
again Jack, W0UCE, Bert, N4CW, and I teamed up to have some fun on Top Band.

Conditions were not great, but they were good.  Even the Key Clicks were down
this year.  And, since our final results were well above last year, we knew
there were going to be some big scores turned in.  Congratulations to the other
M/S HP crews.  I checked a few of the likely suspects and - YES - BIG SCORES.

Bert always likes to start, so once again this year he led the way for us.  I
think he did a good job finding a frequency because we stayed there for the
first 14 hrs and 15 minutes of the contest.  We hit the 1000 Q mark just after
08:00 UTC.  At the final gun we had 191 five point Qs or roughly 11% and our
score was up by 24% over 2008.

There were a few firsts this year for us.  First time using N1MM at my QTH. All
previous contests have been WriteLog.  MM has some advantages as does WriteLog.
Wonder if the advantages of both can be built into a new logging software
Write-MM?  First time we used the new T-Vertical transmit antenna.  Until this
event I had an inverted-L.  The T worked well and will not be leaving anytime
soon.  First time we used Skimmer.  We didn't search and pounce much, but it
appeared to be helpful when we did.  NOTE: A big thanks to Jay, NT4D, for
providing the 'get it running' consulting early Saturday afternoon during our
short off time.  For me, it was the first time I ran QSK.  At the request of
Jack and Bert, I added Array Solutions QSK Masters to my Amps. I typically like
semi break-in as it is easier on the ears, but QSK was not too bad with the K3s
and it did help with the rate.  And finally, the first time we had 250hz
roofing filters in the K3s.  Last year we only had 400hz filters.  The 250s
really helped decrease the fatigue factor.

A couple of "not in the log" observations, at least from our QTH. We did not
have any Africa, JA, VK or ZL Qs.   Also, the Caribbean, South and Central
America countries and Qs were down this year.

A BIG THANKS to both NP4A and VA5SAM for responding to our CQs and giving us
section 78 and 79.  Also a BIG THANKS to all that spotted us, for a total of 49
times.  I would also like to give a special thanks to those that called QRL
before simply starting to CQ on our run frequency.  It was much easier to dig
out the weaker stations exchange through a quick QRL than through the longer
duration CQ and what ever happens next.  Everyone should try that QRL thing
first.  It works!

And finally, a BIGGER THANKS to the DX that participated in this contest.  With
only being able to work US and VE your op time was probably less fun than in
CQWW-160 CW, but that is only a few weeks away.

Speaking of CQWW - 160, Jack - Bert - and I will be back.  Hope to work you
again!

XCVR:  K3
AMP:  AL-1500, Array Solutions QSK Master
TX ANT:  Vertical T @ 90' with 4 elevated 1/8 wave radials
RX ANT:  W, NW, N, NE, S Beverages
SW:  N1MM

73,