[3830] ARRL 160 K8MFO Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 6 16:27:14 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K8MFO
Operator(s): K8MFO
Station: K8MFO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OHIO
Operating Time (hrs): 5:00

Total:  QSOs = 606  Sections = 76  Countries = 23  Total Score = 130,383

Club: East Lansing DX Club

Comments:

My time was limited, because 10 years ago I decided to engage in a "low
pressure, relaxing, hobby type of retirement business", which is growing and
selling Christmas trees.   A word to the wise -- this is not a low pressure
type of activity.  You have work responsibilities in 10 of the 12 months, and
obviously in December, you are tied to the house!

Anyway, I always like to have my "own little contest" to amuse myself.    I was
actually present at the opening bell to work some DX.   They all came back,
which puzzled me, as that just doesn't happen.   Before I could analyze things,
more tree customers showed up, and I had to leave the shack.   Later I came
back, and sat on one frequency for a long time, working 373 stations after one
CQ.   This was great fun.  Later I decided to do another hour of operating, and
rang up another 100 QSOs.      When I woke up early in the morning, I realized
that I needed only KL7, KH6, and UTAH to finish my fastest ever Top Band WAS.
That goal was realized in very quick order.     I had just a few minutes on
Saturday night to listen, and I managed to work KV4FZ immediately.   Then I
decided to hang it up when my FIVE HOURS time limit expired.   What a riot!
This was fun, which is always my goal.

I missed NNY, WCF, KP4, and VE8 in my short BLITZ.  Also, I don't appear in the
logs of many of the top entries, because I practiced the "K3 effect" and found a
spot where I could just pretend that I was in a rare DX location!we  For a while
I think I detected some "thumping" close to my frequency, but perhaps that was
the local rabbit wanting to be fed...

Thanks to all of you who are in my log.

73

Don K8MFO

Elecraft K3    Ameritron AL-1200    Inverted L   70 feet vertical on a "rock
hill" in Amish Ohio