[3830] ARRL 10 NX5M M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 13 17:57:57 PST 2009

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, KU5B, N5XJ, N5DUW
Station: NX5M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TX

   CW:  566    58
  SSB:  788    58
-------------------
Total: 1354   116  Total Score = 445,904

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

13th consecutive year!!!!
Let me see......what did I say last year?
"This HAS to be the end of the worst.  The only way it could have been any
worse
would have been if the band were the same on Sunday as it was on Saturday."
This was certainly an identical contest to last year with the only difference
really being the number of domestic multipliers worked.
I had been getting thigs ready all week prior to the contest.  Every day I was
in the shack the band was open.  So Friday, while making the final preps,
nothing was going on.....NOTHING!  Zero hour came and still nothing but it is
contest time.  First 14 qsos were with Texas stations so I was hoping the band
would open to somewhere else.  It did.......but let me NOT get into a long
story here.....the band sucked!
We seemed to be blacked out to South America most of the time so we missed
several mults down that way which is not typical for us.
By the time we shut down the first night we had only 104 qsos in the log.
OMG!
We shut down and I told KU5B we'd get back on the air at 1230z.
Oops.....overslept AGAIN for the second year in a row so we ended up getting on
30 minutes late.  Just like last year.....we likely did not miss anything
anyway.
Saturday and Saturday night was a grind.  But at least it was a little better
than the previous night.  Our last qso was at 0637 so we shut down at 0700 with
only 337 qsos in the log.
Back on the air at 1230z were KU5B and N5DUW.....me(NX5M), like a lid, slept
until almost 1430z and my first thought was, "oh crap, is anyone operating?"
Pleased to find that N5DUW was operating and KU5B was in the shower.
Well, Sunday was much more fun.  Now if we can put two good days together in a
row maybe this contest will not seem so much like work.
N5XJ was a part of the operating team for the 13th consecutive year and for the
first time did mostly CW when he was in the operating chair.
I removed the bunk bed in the shack so that KU5B could not fall out of it,
again.
Just as last year, thanks to all those who had the patience to work with us
while we pulled calls out of the ether (I think I said this same thing last
year).