[3830] ARRL 10 W0BH SO Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 13 21:37:42 PST 2009

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: KS

   CW:  279    52
  SSB:  320    41
-------------------
Total:  599    93  Total Score = 163,308

Please sunspots!  A Hesston College Christmas meal kept me out of the chair for
awhile on Friday evening, but I don't think I missed much.  It took forever to
get my first 100 Qs, most of which were CW because the signals were so light.

Saturday was a repeat of "why am I doing this?" as I just kept checking in from
time to time to make a few Qs during the day.  I was able to catch most of the
western states and western Canada on CW with just a few contacts each that
direction.  Signals were again so weak that I didn't try SSB, and I never did
work 6 and 7-land on SSB except for ID and AZ on Sunday.  Saturday afternoon, I
finally decided I had plenty of time to operate as well as write a final exam
and grade papers.  It worked great with occasional "interruptions" from the
radio.  We'll see what the students think.  Around 10:30pm, I started to get
hits into the northeast, when suddenly the band opened and the rate meter
finally hit 100+ and stayed there for awhile on both CW and SSB.  ME was the
only holdout.  Around 12:30, the action died off and I called it a day.

Sunday had its moments but it was a big step up from most of Saturday.  In the
afternoon, some loud static on both CW and SSB started up suddenly making quiet
signals really difficult to hear.  DSP helped, but it really shut me down.  On a
whim, I tried a beverage and it worked .. not loud, but it's all about signal to
noise ratio and the noise went away.  Some nice rates after that while following
the skip around to different parts of the country (east).  I also finished the
exam.

Overall, I missed and didn't hear AK, HI, WY, AR, ME and DC in the US.  I
worked VE2 thru VE7 in Canada.  DX included 11 mults from the Caribbean,
Central, and South America.  The big surprise was a ZL unless I copied his call
wrong.  I asked for it three times to be sure and it came back the same each
time.

I really appreciate the patience from many of you as I tried to dig calls out
of the noise or out of what seemed like thin air.  A real challenge which made
the few times the band opened a bit so much more enjoyable.  I also appreciated
the moves for double mults.  Hope it helped you out as well.  Happy holidays to
all!

73, Bob, w0bh