[3830] NA Sprint CW W4EF HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 8 06:43:25 EST 2009

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W4EF
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W4EF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 2:10

   80:   84    1:30
   40:   32    0:40
   20:    0
---------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Team: SCCC#2

Rig: FT1000MP MKV / Alph 91B / N1MM
Antenna: 160M Inverted-L

I was actually sitting in front of the rig when the contest started, but it
took me almost 2 hours to get the CW memories in N1MM setup the way I wanted. I
should have saved my CW memory configuration from back in September, but I guess
I ASSuMEd that it got saved with the log database. Since that wasn't the case
(at least that I could figure out), I was pretty much starting from scratch
except that I am 5 months older and dumber than before. I am glad that I
invested the time, however, as it seemed to pay-off. A handful of noteable
exceptions non-withstanding, I felt as if I had the hang of the program this
time around. I found a USB-to-serial adapter in the garage that I had bought
for an old digital camera, so I was even able to get rig control going which
was nice.

I don't know if it was just my lousy station, but conditions seemed pretty bad.
I spend most of my time listening on 160 these days with really tight filters in
all the time (250Hz 2nd IF, 125Hz 3rd IF, and 60Hz DSP), so I forgot how noisy
it is at my place when you listen with filters wide enough for the Sprint. With
the lousy band conditions I was constantly switching between my cascaded 500Hz
filters for calling CQ and the 250/125Hz filters that I needed to copy really
weak signals that would call me.

Anyway it was great fun. Thanks to all who suffered through my fat fingers and
weak signal to make a QSO.

73 Mike W4EF...............