[3830] NA Sprint CW VP2E(N5AU) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 8 07:25:52 EST 2009

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: VP2E
Operator(s): N5AU
Station: VP2E

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ANGUILLA

   80:   71    1.25
   40:   94    1.75
   20:   59     1.0
---------------------

Team:

Comments:

The VP2E station still has a few broken antennas from hurricane OMAR last
October plus normal wear and tear from the extended life in a salt water
environment, so most of the big antennas were inop for this event, but I
suspected everyone would like a VP2E multiplier anyway.

The main loss was the 3L 40M yagi.   I put up a sloping dipole on 40 with the
top about 50 feet.   It worked OK, but had lots of RF back in the shack and the
keyer went wild periodically, so I lost some operating time trying to calm it
down.   Apologies to all the guys it went nuts on during the QSO.   I quickly
found some ferrite for the leads going into the keyer and that cured most of it
along with a power reduction to levels it would tolerate.

I called quite a few guys who couldn't hear me (CQ'd again), but most people
came back first call.    There were only a few times where stations were
waiting to call after the first station departed.   After a few CQ's I usually
got callers.

Hope to see everyone in the ARRL CW in a couple of weeks.    The 3L 40 will not
be operational by then.   The sloper obviously isn't going to do the job on 40,
so I will try something else.

73 N5AU
VP2E station