[3830] ARRLDX CW N1UR SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 23 06:56:57 EST 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT

   20: 1113    88
   15:   81    42
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total: 2305   332  Total Score = 2,289,828

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I continue to love this game!  With an SFI of 69 - 70, you really shouldn't be
able to have this much fun.  The EU participation in this contest is truly
outstanding and from many many countries.  Thank you to all.

The antennas here are always evolving.  The biggest change on this contest was
the addition of a 3 el M2 on 40 at 70 feet and putting the 2 el F12 fixed south
at 45 feet.  Beyond that, for this year, there was some additional radials and
improvement on the 160T and a lot of futzing with the tuning of my 80M 2 el
phased array and oh yes a new 10M yagi.

Take a look at the highlights for N1UR station activity:

- Highest number of contacts ever for a low power effort EVER at N1UR in 12
years of contesting (okay the station wasn't this good in the last sunspot
peak, but still)
- Score within 5% of highest ever recorded in ARRL DX contest
- Highest band Q totals ever on 160, 80 and 40.  (within 10% of highest on 20)
- Highest mult totals ever on 160, 80, 40 and 20.

Other anecdotes that made this one fun:

- CQing on 160 and having a 30 min run worth about 20 Qs and many additional
mults at EU sunrise
- Decent steady 80M runs both nights into EU
- Fantastic 40M runs at opening and both days from 20Z - 00Z (seeing the rate
meter over 150 many times on 40 is way cool)
- A 4 hour run on 20M with hours of 144, 131, 132, 118 and seeing the peak
meter hitting 200 twice (very briefly but with low power - that is a cherished
event)

It won't be "more fun" for me in a couple of years, it will just be different,
and with higher scores.

Thanks to the best partner in the world, my wife, Christine, KB1PQN, for all of
her active support in the building and maintenance of this station and enjoying
operating herself once in a while.

See you in SSB in 2 weeks.

Ed  N1UR (also look for me as B1Z in the CQ-M contest in May)