[3830] ARRLDX CW N5AW SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 23 09:24:24 EST 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: TX

Total: 1376   350  Total Score = 1,444,800

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Did better than I expected with no sunspots - bested last years score by 30% -
but I'm still far behind the leaders.  Good low band conditions Friday
evening/Saturday morning but heavy static on Saturday evening made 160
impossible and 80 difficult. Only one QSO on 10 Saturday (LU) and looked like
only one on Sunday until a brief but fun opening to SA/Caribbean on Sunday
afternoon. Worked only 2 Europeans on 15 Saturday but another brief EU opening
on Sunday gave me a chance to run the mult and QSO total up.

Another fantastic score from N1UR. WA1Z with his modest antennas smoked me too.
Killer for me compared to the East Coast is 20 meters. We get a couple of good
hours to Europe beginning just before sunrise (~1300) but then it gets tough -
signals weak and can't run (even S&P is tough) until about 1800 when the
signals come back up. By then the activity level from Europe is way down. That
being said Ed would still beat me even if his QSO total on 20 was the same as
mine. Hopefully when 10 and 15 come back I can be more competitive.

Marv, N5AW