[3830] SARTG New Year RTTY Contest P49X SO AB

J. Edward (Ed) Muns w0yk at msn.com
Thu Jan 1 12:32:45 EST 2009

   SARTG New Year RTTY Contest

Call: P49X
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: P40L/P49Y

Class: SOAB
QTH: Aruba

   80: 20   6
   40: 61  19
----------------
Total: 81  25  Total Score = 2,025

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks for the QSOs!  That was fun.  At least I seem to remember it was fun.
I'd been up for 50 hours with only 1.5 hours sleep when doing it.  Now, with
a whopping four hours of sleep I'm a bit groggy.  Arrived at midnight New
Year's Eve with the whole island exploding in fireworks.  It was quite a
sight from the plane and even moreso on the ground where there was so much
smoke from the explosions that we were choking.

I was wondering why everyone was sending RST in the exchange and checked the
rules again this morning and see that was required.  Sorry folks ... it was
the sleep deprivation.  I arrived at the station at 1pm and started setting
up the three computers and two K3s I had in my carry-on luggage.  (How often
can you carry a SO2R station on the plane with you?)  Had a number of issues
as always, so wasn't as well setup as I'd like, but I was happy to be able
to operate.  Trying to make sure I got a good print on 'HAPPY NEW YEAR' in a
foreign language I don't understand was tricky.  Log checking must be
exciting in this contest.

I was able to work a few EU stations at 08Z from here on 80, but most
couldn't hear me over the other EU stations calling.  I had to wait until
now one was calling and even then I got CQ'd in my face.  Of course, 40 was
wide open the whole contest period.  However, most signals were marginal
copy for me.  The 08-11Z time slot is when I'm usually taking breaks in
Round-Up so I don't expect much anyway.  There were some EU stations with
twice my QSO total.  I had a couple JAs call in and one ZL that I never
could get, even with the East-West Beverage.  Everything else was NA and EU.
Worked a few CA stations, but none from my club, NCCC.  Guess they were
either celebrating or sleeping.

See you in the Round-Up practices tonight.

Ed - P49X (W0YK)