[3830] RTTY Roundup KE1FO M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 4 19:54:38 EST 2009

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: KE1FO
Operator(s): KE1FO
Station: KE1FO

Class: M/S HP
QTH: VT

Total:  231  State/Prov = 41  Countries = 10  Total Score = 11,781

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Had a fun time.  Played around some both Saturday and Sunday afternoon, and a
little on Saturday evening.  Had 2 great runs on 20M (for me at least).  Rate
meter stayed between 70 and 90 for a whole hour straight both afternoons
(working mostly W/VE stations on 20M).  During both hours I think I had to call
CQ only a handful of times - mostly there was always another station waiting to
make a q.  Lots of fun.

The one thing I found annoying was folks not "listening".  Several times I had
more than one station calling and I was able to copy 2 callsigns.  Here's the
scenario:

KE1FO: CQ RU KE1FO CQ
Pileup: a;lsdkjf;lkjasdf KK1L PSE K asl;kj DE W1MOO W1MOO asd;lk
KE1FO: KK1L 599 VT-VT HNY BK
KK1L: KE1FO 599 VT-VT
KE1FO: TU NOW W1MOO 599 VT-VT HNY BK
SILENCE!!!!!!
KE1FO: CQ RU KE1FO CQ
Pileup: ads;lkjas DE W1MOO W1MOO

I tried to work the 2nd guy in the pileup at least 10 times, and only once were
they listening close enough to realize I'd worked them next.  What made it even
more maddening was that 3 or 4 of those times, when I'd then call CQ, the
station I'd tried to work dropped in their call!  Is this just not done on
RTTY?  I've been successful with this tactic on CW and Phone, but it seems to
be no good on RTTY.

Oh well, had a fun time.  Maybe next year I'll have more time to put into the
chair.  See you all in the next one.

73 de Al, KE1FO