[3830] NAQP CW N0AX Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 11 10:58:22 EST 2009

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N0AX
Operator(s): N0AX
Station: N0AX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MO

   15:   13     3
Total:  578   142  Total Score = 81,934

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Team:

Comments:

80 meters - it's the new 20!

I just can't get over how good 80 has been over the past few contests - opens
early, stays late, wide coverage.  Gimme, gimme, gimme!  All this with really
minimal antenna, the ol' straight piece o' wahr comes through again.  Even
though the tuned bandwidth of the system was about +/-5 kHz on 160, enough
power bounced back and forth in the feed line to eventually leak out and get
the job done - from the Atlantic to the Pacific, gee, the Q-rate was terrific!

Rig: FT-100D (no, not missing a zero)
Antenna system: 105' dipole at 30', fed with open-wire, MFJ-974HB tuner
Software: N1MM

Nothing heard from either of the Dakoties...I think signals must have been too
cold to hear.  Maybe the thermal shock caused them to break apart when reaching
warmer climes?

Along with no (N,S)D, the rarer of the VE province-like-objects remained
elusive; no VE6, VO1/2 or VY0/1.  And from the lower latitudes, KH6 was missed,
but probably because I took off time to work out in the afternoon instead of
prowling for KH6 on 15 or 20.  Had a spot (sporadic-F?) run of WA/BC/OR on 15
in the afternoon, but that was about it.  If I had bigger, pointier antennas,
that might have changed, but, hey...

Glad to work lots of friends and confuse them mightily.  It was pretty easy to
tell who was using pre-fill databases because of the pause and "what did you
say your call was?"  Folks, turn off the pre-fill.  Hear the signal, copy the
signal - that's how it works.

Lots of new calls in this one.  Maybe the triple-play brought out some new
participants.  Welcome!  I hope to see you in the next one, too!  These 6-band
contests are a lot of fun, huh?

Funniest moment (in retrospect) was the cat insisting that the power supply was
the best place to nap and that the power cable to the radio had to be moved.
Even if it did cause the radio to go off - what is more important than the
cat's nap, I ask you?  There were some high-speed negotiations.  The cat stayed
and the power cable was moved and the contest went on.

73, Ward N0AX