[3830] NAQP CW AA4LR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 11 22:07:27 EST 2009

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

  160:    0     0
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  300    85  Total Score = 25,500

Club: South East Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S/A743 at 15m (40-10m)
Shunt-fed 15m tower (80m, 160m))
Doublet at 10m (80m)

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 w/ KAT100

Comments:

Just a casual entry in the NAQP CW. I couldn't put in a full effort due to
honey-dos and m eldest daughters birthday dinner. Still, managed to have a lot
of fun.

When I started at 1920z, 10 and 15m were completely dead. There weren't even
any west-coast stations on 15m, which means conditions must have really been
bad. By 2000z, however, 15m was starting to open up. Managed to get K1ZZI to
call me on 10m -- thanks Ralph. Worked down through 20 and 40m just briefly
before having to QRT at 2250z. At this point, I had worked about 130 Qs, a
modest effort.

Back on at 0220z, I picked up where I left off by CQing on 40m. However, after
LU4MHQ called in, I decided the band must be way too long, so I shifted down to
80m. After working a few stations, I found a nice place to CQ at 0230z

Initially, I used the shunt-fed tower, which generally works well. But I wasn't
getting any responses. I figured I'd try the doublet for a bit, before
continuing on to S & P. The doublet has two problems. First, it is only 10m
high, so it tends to be very high angle. Second, it's not resonant in the band,
and the 80m CW segment is pretty much at the limit of the auto-tuner.

Much to my surprise, I started getting answers. Lots of answers. In the next
hour and a half, I would work 158 Qs, although that includes a couple of dupes.
That's an aggregate rate of 105 / hr! Thanks to everyone for calling in. I had a
blast working all the Qs. Worked more stations in that 1.5 hours than I did in
the previous 4 hours.

High point was working W1YM -- my friend  and DX mentor Mike in MA, just as the
rate meter hit it's peak of 237 / hr. I rarely hear Mike on the air, so it was
an unexpected pleasure.

Thanks for the Qs, see you in the Phone portion for another limited effort.