[3830] NAQP CW N3ZL(@WD4EOG) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 11 22:16:13 EST 2009

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N3ZL
Operator(s): N3ZL
Station: WD4EOG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SC

   40:    5     4
   20:   45    16
   15:    3     2
Total:  273    61  Total Score = 16,653

Club: South East Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Started out the day of the contest by getting access to the Clemson ARC ham
shack and then getting an 80m inverted vee up about 25-30 feet, that was all
the wire there was available, but at least it got me on one band, and barely on
a few more with no tuner.

By the time the antenna was up the contest had already started, but I hadn't
eaten yet so I grabbed lunch before going back to the shack to see what I could
do. 10m was silent, 15m was nearly silent, so I spent about an hour and a half
on 20m starting only putting out roughly 30 watts with a high SWR on the 80m
dipole. I knew 80m would be my best band so I decided to get dinner early and
planned on an hour or two on 40m after I got back, then the rest of the contest
on 80m. By the time I got back, I didn't hear anything on 40m.. ouch! Went
straight to 80m and spent a couple hours S&P, finally decided to run and was
happy when I was able to keep a rather respectable rate for the last couple
hours of the contest. Some bad planning on my part when I forgot the power
chord for my laptop and had to make a trip back across campus in the pouring
rain to grab it so I could keep my computer logging, though I sent everything
by hand.

Once I the tribander and 40m yagi feedlines and rotor cable fixed (who knows
when that will be..) this will be a pretty decent station here.

If anyone wants to make any sort of wire, coax, general antenna supply
donations to the Clemson ARC, sent me an email, hihi..

73 de Greg N3ZL