[3830] CQ160 CW WX3B Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 25 20:07:10 EST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: MD

Total:  QSOs = 564  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 60  Total Score = 329,781

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow - what a great weekend for the radio!

If you didn't know better, you could have sworn 160 sounded like 20 at times
with a non-stop, steady stream of easily readable Europeans calling.  It became
a game to pick them out from under the loud USA stations calling.

W6 and W7 were as loud as I've heard them, and even the short 300' beverages
were quite effective and directional.  This was the first contest I got to use
my new K9AY 8 position beverage switch (I have 4 directions) and I can't
believe how much fun it was to push buttons instead of trying to randomly
rotate a switch.

Unlike previous 160 contests, the conditions seemed to favor my station in the
pileups to any direction but south, which was like banging my head against a
wall.  I did better on Saturday night, however I easily missed 5 multipliers.

Hope we have conditions like these for the 160 SSB contest!

73,

Jim  WX3B