[3830] CQ160 CW N0KE Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 25 20:50:38 EST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N0KE
Operator(s): N0KE
Station: N0KE

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Colorado USA

Total:  QSOs = 748  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 41  Total Score = 212,170

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Without a doubt this is the best of conditions I've ever experienced for a 160m
contest. 160 conditions have been outstanding for about two weeks (I'm talking
about Colorado, not the east coast). I was afraid they would return to average
for the contest but that was not to be fortunately. I worked ES9C followed by
several other Europeans before it was even getting dark Friday night. I
finished the ~400 ft SE beverage about 3 hours before the contest so I now have
4 directions. 100% of my contest receiving was on the beverages. Transmit
antenna is a 1/4 wave sloper from a 55 ft tower that also has a 2 el 40 and 7
el 6m yagi. It was nice to work 40 QSOs to Europe in 21 DXCC. 78 of the 748
QSOs were outside W/VE. It was nice to find W3A in DC above 1860 at 0720z
Sunday for the last of US mults. Missed VO and VE9 among the relatively common
VE mults. WAC was made in 2hr 12 minutes late Saturday. It took me several
years to accomplish 160m WAC back in the 1980s. As several others reported E7DX
had a better than average signal out of Europe but just couldn't hear many
western US stations including this one! At 0000z Saturday I heard OH8X just
above the noise. I thought I was wasting my time calling but got him on one
call. A few minutes later I worked OG2P who was about the same strength and
then a few minutes later OH2BO who was even stronger. Around 0830z Saturday it
was nice to easily work TF3CW, SM5EDX, VP9/N1SNB, OY9JD and a nice number of G,
GW, GM and F stations. I probably could have scored better if I hadn't been
cherry picking DX stations for so much of the time. JA conditions were not much
with only 12 QSOs plus 2 UA0, all Saturday morning.  2 KH6 QSOs were the only
things heard from OC. Phil N0KE DM69em