[3830] CQ160 CW UP2L(@UN9LG) Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 27 07:16:17 EST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: UP2L
Operator(s): UA9BA, UN2L, UN7LZ, UN9LG, EUGENE, VERA A YL
Station: UN9LG

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Kostanay, Kazakhstan

Total:  QSOs = 1287  State/Prov = 26  Countries = 83  Total Score = 1,172,404

This was the first planned operation from a new Kazakhstan contest station being
under construction at the present time. Grigori UN9LG, the owner and the main
driving force, just wanted too badly to fire up the station even though it
wasn't quite ready for the true Multi op. The station is situated about 6 km to
South West from a large city of Kostanay on southern shores of river Tobol which
measures about 1 km wide at the station's QTH, thus providing a over water take
off in the direction from West to North East. Station's property line borders
water for at least 600 meters and varies with floods and dry periods. The
station is all by itself and no other living houses nor any sort of industry
for kilometers around the place.
    Our transmitting antenna was a 35 meter high tower holding a pair of 7L20s
on 22 m long booms with the bottom antenna 18 meters below the top one. Some 30
radials 40 to 60 meters long. Rx antennas were 4 bi-directional beveareges bilt
in a professional style (very straight, not following the landscape's ups and
downs, made of 4mm OD copper wires, the transformers done by ON4UN's books),
287 meters long each dual run. We only had ONE radio IC7700, which was so new
that wasn't even tested before the contest. And it turned out to be one of
those that wouldn't transmitt under 1810 (a note to MANY of you guys that stuck
under 1810 the whole contest (like W2GD) and we could do nothing to work you).
So it was a multi op event for us but only in a one by one style.
    Now a few comments on the contest. The first 5 hours were just
unbelieveble! We had 463 QSOs 3 states and 54 countries and we had to send CW
with the keyer, so sri fr QSD at the beginning. Since we had only one radio we
had to learn how to use the 2nd VFO of the rig to be able to move arnd the band
for the spotted mults. At first when I realized that 7700 DOESN't have one I
just couldn't believe it! So, we had to use A/B switch and tune the B VFO only
when not transmitting on VFO A and when not transmitting on VFO A one naturally
wants to listen after a transmittion on VFO A's run frequency if someone calls.
So it was quite a task, but by the end of the contest we were doing OK and just
wondering why in the world wouldn't ICOM incorporate a virtual 2nd VFO like in a
756 pro's. Just a guess. If they did so who would ever bother buying a 7800
then?
   The 2nd night was a very poor CNDX night. For instance a very good sample of
how poor CNDX were for us here. The night b4 contest EA8AH was s9+10-25 dB at
around 22z. The 2nd night of the contest EA8AH wasn't louder than s4-s5! Most
of EU Top Band residents were 20 - 30 dB down to their normal levels. Same was
true for JA. At the same time the CNDX over the Top were just UNIQUE! We heard
layers of US/VE's and the loudest were as loud as VY2ZM whom we don't consider
a VE. Jeff is just a totally different story. So, this time Jeff didn't have
his usual dominating signal he was just as loud as K9DX, VE3EJ(tried u dozens
of times John, improve ur Northern RX ability!), K1DG, NX5M, N7DD, W8JI, K5NA,
W7EW, XE1RCS (no QSO, though) to name a few. Even more interestingly. Herb
KV4FZ this time was just barely audible here and I didn't even try to call
because of such poor reception and huge pile of constantly calling LIDs. Well,
not only on u Herb. Haven't heard a single burst of MM0XAU's throught the
contest!
    The 3rd night was even worse! From 18:00z to 19:40z the band collapsed and
we couldn't even attract attention of UR and UA3 stns  5QSOs during that
period.
    All in all it was GREAT CONTEST, GREAT ACTIVITY with unexpected 60 NA qso's
and only 2 SA and 3 West Indies, 915 Eus and 185 JAs. I was amazed at how well
the beveareges worked (the pattern is just unbelieveble, the opposite durection
extra loss is unnoticable) also how quiet the place was.
    It is worth to specially mention the enthusiasm of the boys at this NEW
KAZAKH SUPER STAR ... ups STATION. I hope very soon they will be on all bands
with big signal and ambitions.

    For the team Willy UA9BA

P.S. QSL via UA9AB