[3830] IARU K5ZD SO Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 12 10:59:54 PDT 2009

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K5ZD
Operator(s): K5ZD
Station: K5ZD

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: W1

  160:   15      0      3        6
   80:   66     15     11       25
   40:  258     28     16       32
   20:  312    243     26       46
   15:  132     49     19       26
   10:   18     18      4        2
-------------------------------------
Total:  801    353     79      137  Total Score = 799,632

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Borrowed a K3 from Dennis, W1UE.  The goal of this contest was to learn and
evaluate the radio.  Spent much of the first few hours taking breaks as I read
the manual and tried various settings in the menus.  The longer I operated the
more comfortable and more impressed I became.  The K3 is fantastic on CW.
Simply amazing.  It took awhile to get the receive and transmit settings
adjusted for SSB.  Still some work to go to make it sound as good as my usual
FT1000D.

Summer contests are funny.  All the action seems to happen over darkness paths.
 The contest started slow with equally weak Eu signals on 20 and 15.  I mostly
tuned around and tried to learn the radio.

By afternoon, things started to pick up, but had some family time obligations.
Managed to get back in the shack after dark in order to experience the K3 on
the low bands.  Several very loud HQ stations from Europe on 15m at 0000z!

It was noisy here with the approaching front(s).  The Europeans seemed to be
hearing well as they were getting my call on 80 without many repeats.  Had to
spend some time on 40m using my Beverage for receive just to hear through the
rain static.

All the activity staffing the big HQ stations seems to take away some of the
usual single op and multi callsigns that we hear in every contest.  But, it is
a great celebration of national pride.  Certainly gives those of us on the East
Coast who can work Europe on the low bands a huge advantage for scoring.

Back to WPX log checking (and looking for spare change in the couch to start a
K3 acquisition fund).