[3830] IARU W1STT M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Jul 23 20:32:41 PDT 2009

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W1STT
Operator(s): W1STT, N1IW, WO1N
Station: W1STT

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NH

  160:    4      0      2        0
   80:   95      0     20       10
   40:  285    113     57       41
   20:  378    240     74       46
   15:   59     61     30       18
   10:   20      0      4        0
-------------------------------------
Total:  841    414    187      115  Total Score = 624,019

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Note: The mults are questionable. I could not get N1MM to cough up the HQ
stations worked so the above numbers are a quick manual count and I'm not
sure if the HQ stations are included in the zones column.

Rig : FT1000D, Alpha76, 40-2CD at 60', Stepp-IR @ 90', 80M OCF at 60'

Soapbox:

 WO1N and N1IW were mulling over operating options over a single malt 4th of
July weekend. Some of the usual places were not available to us. We
contemplated Single Op efforts but in the end we decided terrorizing W1STT and
family would be more fun. Mike (N1IW) floated and idea by Richie (W1STT) and
received the classic Golden Retriever "Happy-To-See-You" response.

 Richie got the OK-to-Launch from Carol (his wife) and Holly (his daughter) and
plans were set in motion. Unfortunately the winter ice storm destroyed his M2
40M beam at 100' and it hadn't been fixed as of yet. A temporary 40-2CD would
have to be rigged. W1STT and N1IW did all the heavy lifting and had the 2-CD
rigged at 60', pointing fixed on Eu. All station fix-ups were squared away the
day before the test.

 N1IW got us off to a good start with a solid CW run on 20M, but quite frankly
we haven't figured this contest out in several years of operating. We always
lag in mults. Even 3 hours into the contest our Q's were par with the other
Multi's but we felt we were so far in the hole on Mults that there was
already no hope in making them up. We didn't let that deter us, we kept
plugging away all 24 hours. W1STT did the bulk of sideband operating, N1IW and
WO1N did the CW and, most importantly, Carol kept us fed. Steak tips at 3 AM
yumm!

 I had some good rate on 20M SSB when a land-line suggested we should
re-evaluate our operating conditions. That killed a 190 rate over 26Qs run. We
settled into a rotation with the goal of keeping us sharp in the chair. I
managed to snag my favorite overnight stint where I kept rowing through the
bands and modes looking for rate and mults. 80M was a bit of a problem with no
receiving antenna and two lines of thunderstorms in the area. However, I
managed to snag ZL, VK and a bunch of Eu. The final highlight from my
perspective was sitting in the chair for about the last 35 minutes and doing a
100 rate on a S&P sweep up 20M CW.

 All in all a good shakedown for W1STT's developing station. Mike and I thank
Carol and Holly for putting up with us and Richie for letting us abuse his
station. Now to fix the top beam.

 73,

 Ken
 WO1N