[3830] IOTA G3BJ SO24Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jul 27 01:03:34 PDT 2009

                    IOTA Contest

Call: G3BJ
Operator(s): G3BJ
Station: G3BJ

Class: SO24Mixed HP
QTH: Ludlow

   80:   78       27      204      37
   40:  342       40      394      48
   20:  116       13      548      46
   15:   93       12      276      30
   10:   60        9       79      17
Total:  687      101     1501     178  Total Score = 3,053,376

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

It's been a while since I did the single operator category in the IOTA
contest, as when we've done it from here in recent years, it's been as
multi-op. So this year was yet another (re-)learning experience. I had
forgotten how much had changed since I last did single op, and how this
contest has really grown up.

Firstly, for once, all the equipment worked well, and I have no excuses in
that area. All the shortcomings are those of the operator !

I suppose I really did not think enough about strategy before the start, and
sort of made it up as I went along. But I misjudged the fact that, as an
island station (even on boring old EU005) I would be in demand. So the first
six hours or so were a balance between running and S&P. In retrospect I
should have been much more disciplined, and focussed on running. I think
this cost me quite a bit. It's very clear from the QSO totals of the
multi-op stations, which can devote one station to running all the time,
that there is big demand, and I should have planned on that.

Entering the unassisted mixed mode section also makes for a few additional
challenges, as it is too easy to get seduced into a nice quiet life working
stations on CW, which does tend slightly to lower the QSO rate. I fell into
this trap for a while. However, the contest was an opportunity to have some
more SO2R practice, and it seemed to go quite well.

The surprising (and pleasant) thing is that the demand was insatiable, and
even through the traditionally dull parts of a contest (like the early hours
of the morning), the demand kept up. The night passed almost without being
noticed, so busy were the bands that I looked up for a moment and it was
light outside. The good news was that potentially problematic summer static
stayed away for the most part, and the LF bands were in good shape. High
spots on LF were the far east and Oceania contacts on 40 and 80 (including
being called by an FO5 on 40) and the general level of activity. On HF, even
ten and fifteen yielded useful rates and multipliers, with some surprising
openings.

Perhaps most surprising was how difficult it was to find the UK island
multipliers - and I only made it with a small percentage of the possible
slots. Partially my fault, I am sure, but partly a reflection of the
strength of many of the Eu stations on the contest, which made it difficult
to break the pile.

The teams who go out to islands to put them on the air for this contest
deserve special praise - there were some big signals from portable efforts,
and this makes the contest all the more fun. Thanks to everyone who made the
effort to go somewhere special and to everyone for the QSOs.  A great
contest, which should be mind-blowing when we get some sunspots back.