[3830] ARRLDX SSB K0DXC SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 8 19:57:52 PDT 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K0DXC
Operator(s): K0DXC
Station: K0DXC

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Jackson, OH
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   0      0
   80:   0      0
   40:  15     10
   20:  42     30
   15:  12      9
   10:   2      2
-------------------
Total:  71     51  Total Score = 10,863

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Rig: IC-756PROIII
Antenna(s): 6BTV Vertical, DX-B Sloper
Software: Win-Test

I am embarrassed to post my score! :)

Conditions didn't seem to be very good here in south east Ohio. I had a very
hard time working anything on 40 meters, and it was also a struggle on 20 at
times. However, one of my highlights this weekend was getting a 10 meter
opening and making a few Q's. I heard about 7 stations on the band, but because
I don't have a beam I was only able to work 2 of them -- LU1HF (I always hear
them on 10) and YN2NB (go MRRC!).

I didn't set high expectations for this contest because I've never had success
running DX from my home QTH so I just decided to keep this contest low key and
100% search and pounce. I actually think that I worked a few new countries on
20 meters so I am happy with that.

I was not able to get on 80 or 160 meters. My sloper is too narrow banded to
effectively cover both 80 CW and 75 SSB (I choose to have it cut for CW), and
my vertical is all out of whack on both 80 and 75 meters..... Not sure how that
happened. :-)

By the time 160 opens up and I am able to work some DX with my cloud warming
antenna everyone else in the house is sleeping so I can't get on with SSB.

Anyways, I will keep this soapbox short; I have a science project to do for
school tomorrow!

It was nice working Scott, VP5H (K0MD), YN2NB (not sure who the exact ops
were), and HI3K.

Highlights:

- I broke the packet pileup of 4Z4DX on first call! I tail-ended a station (not
literally, I was slow picking up the microphone after I typed his call into my
logging program) and sure enough, "DXC 59 K".

- It took a while to break the YN2NB pileup on 20 meters. I'm starting to get
annoyed with packet pileups because nobody ever stops transmitting! Eventually
YN2NB started asking for call areas and when he went to "zero land" I called in
and gave him 59 - OHIO!

I wish....

That I had been able to run the DX.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for the QSO(s). I'm not sure what exactly is next
on the contest calendar but I'll see everyone in the NA SPRINT RTTY from K9MMS
in a few weeks!

73,
Cal, K0DXC