[3830] ARRLDX SSB W0BH SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 8 19:59:43 PDT 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: KS

  160:   11     9
   10:   16     6
-------------------
Total:  297   160  Total Score = 142,560

My goal for the weekend was to work a LOTW station in Hawaii on 160 and try to
work one in AK on 10m. Everything else was just plain fun with some excitement
in between. It must be springtime in Kansas .. had to shut down and go storm
spotting Saturday night when the tornado sirens went off in town about 4 miles
away. The storm had dropped tornados near a town 30 miles west and the hook
echo tracked exactly over my QTH. Fortunately nothing dropped down except some
small hail and of course lots of QRN which kept me off the air a good part of
the evening.

I got back on the air well after midnight after planning my OKQP mobile route
for later this month.  Still missing a LOTW KH6, I set my alarm for an hour
before sunrise (which gave me 2 hours of sleep) and somehow managed to sleep
through it and woke up an hour late figuring I'd missed most of the opening.
When I logged my first Q, I was surprised to see that it was only 1200Z and
then it finally dawned on me that the time change and my atomic alarm clock
saved me!  Of course the fact that it was still dark probably should have
tipped me off, too.  In any case, I started CQing on 160 while listening west
(with leftover static crashes for company).  I got a few takers for my 30+
minutes of effort but heard nothing from KH6-land until NH6O finally found me.
We had chatted on 15m the day before and I knew he'd be on around that time, but
it was still a surprise given the noise.  Al also confirmed my HI SSB Triple
Play Q, so thanks again!

As for AK on 10m, there were a number of AK stations really loud on 15m, so
several tried with me for 10m but no joy.  I really appreciated the effort and
kept hoping the band would open. It finally did with two hours to go, so logged
a few South American and Central American stations but heard nothing west and
north.  We'll keep trying.  I'm working on LOTW 6BWAS, both CW and SSB, and
when all updates come through, I should be down to just LOTW AK 10SSB and LOTW
AK 10CW after this weekend.

Thanks to 6Y1V, KH7X, PJ2T and V26F for five bands. I think I heard PJ2T once
on 10m but they didn't come back and I didn't hear them again. I worked 7
stations on four bands. The biggest DX surprise was the J5 in one call, a new
one for me I think.

Look for me in the OKQP from about 35-40 counties on March 21-22. Details will
be on my QRZ.COM listing in another few days as well as on the OKQP web site.
We're also working on a Kansas QSO Party tentatively scheduled for late
August.

Thanks to all for the Qs!

73, Bob, w0bh