[3830] Rus DX VA7ST SO Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 23 00:23:25 PDT 2009

                    Russian DX Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: BC

   80:   24     0         4        0
   40:   33     0        11        0
   20:   53     4        12        3
Total:  110     4        27        3  Total Score = 11,850

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

* FT2000 + SB221
* N1MM Logger + MMTTY
* 3-element CL33 tribander at 45'
* 40M -- twin half-square array E-W
* 80M -- twin vertical array E-W

SFI = 69 | A = 7 > 4 | K = 4 > 1

Had been looking forward to this one for weeks but when contest time rolled
around, conditions were so bad I knew things would be less than interesting.

Opened the weekend Friday evening with BARTG RTTY, then got up at 1445z to see
how RDXC looked. Things were bleak on 40M and after moving to 20M only 9A5W
could hear me over the pole around 1530z so I switched to RTTY for a while.

Conditions were so frustrating, I just could not get excited about RDXC at all.
Worked stateside mostly on 20M from around 2200z to 0000z. Switched to RTTY as
it seemed to provide more fun per minute, and didn't get back on RDXC until
0730z, running at a slow pace on 40M and 80M for two hours Sunday morning.

Made 4 phone Qs on 20M to make mixed-mode official, but by that point I was
more in casual DXing mode than driving in contest gear.

Clock says I was on for a total of just four hours, but it seemed a lot longer.
Always enjoy working everyone. Just wish I'd done more of it this weekend :)

-- Bud VA7ST

Year  QSOs     Pts  Cty  Sec  Score
2009   114     395   27    3  11,850  Mixed-HP
2008   328    1291   59   16  96,825  Mixed-HP