[3830] WPX SSB WV2ZOW M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 30 06:48:54 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: WV2ZOW
Operator(s): WV2ZOW, WO2U
Station: WV2ZOW

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Clinton NJ FN20mq

Club: Red Oak Society

Comments:

Soapbox : One of our best showings as we improve the station every contest. This
time we used the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V with N1MM for the whole contest, with a
Heathkit SB-1000 linear pushing out about 400 watts, hooked up to an
Alpha-Delta DX-LP Plus wire for 10-160, the Gap Titan vertical for 10-80, and a
stationery Cushcraft A3S 3 element Tribander beam on a 14' boom for 20-15-10
pointing straight at Europe since we had no tower or rotor available. It
literally sat up on my deck about 30 feet up pointing east. We had considered
the second rig for chasing multipliers but it never materialized - the Icom
IC-7000 was all set and hooked up to N1MM in shack #2 but we felt the antennas
were serving us better attached to the Yaesu. We were off to a great start
Sunday morning when the bands quickly quieted down just as we figured 20 should
be coming alive. Turned out that a faulty connector had tricked us into thinking
the band was dead for an hour until WV2ZOW Mike figured it out and replaced the
connector, making the bands come back to life. Duh. We came just 6 shy of
breaking 400 thanks to a major thunderstorm that parked right over my house for
about an hour near the end of the contest.