[3830] WPX CW NT5C(N3BB) SO(A)AB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 31 16:31:20 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NT5C
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Austin, TX

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Got back from Dayton and an extended road trip to our daughter's and several
relatives a few days before the WPX and I was totally too tired to do a serious
contest. So I got on Sunday afternoon and enjoyed the "fresh meat" action that
ensued. I did look for K5PI who was out at W5KFT's station using WC5T
(Williamson County 5 Texas). Robert had a super score and was rocking along.

Most important to me was the line noise situation. As many know, I have been
plagued with serious line noise for a long time. It has never ever gone away
completely. With the help of K5GP, a retired engineer from the Austin utility,
I have been learning to build and to use some noise directional receiving gear,
and how to "hear" what the signature is, and also what the hardware should look
like on the poles. Some real progress has been made, and today, for the first
time ever in twenty five years, I had no noise. None. S-Zero. I'll keep
monitoring and trying to get on the bad poles as they pop up, but this is a
milestone for me.

The WPX sounded like fun, with the usual suspects doing very well.

Jim