[3830] SS CW N1CC Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 8 21:27:05 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: North Texas

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

New DX Engineering 43' Vertical with remote tuner proved to be the solution for
state-side contesting.  First trial was in the CQWW SSB and netted a 20%
improvement over the other small-lot antenna inverted vee apex at 30' in use
for the 2008 contest season.

Running low power and without use of spotting net I did miss NL and NT
sections.  Marked improvement over last year's antenna though, better than a
25% score increase in the same exact time as last year.  I had several runs on
80, 40, 20, and 15.  Last year I could not sustain a run.  Most S&P calls came
back on my first call.

Conditions seemed similar to last year, with no wild openings or 10 meters.
Lot's more fading even when switching between the old antenna and the vertical
and that did slow things down.

Small lot and compromise antennas prompt you to work harder and to make the
best of antenna you can find.  It looks like the 43' verticals do work very
well.