[3830] SS SSB K1HTV Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 23 17:18:06 PST 2009

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K1HTV
Operator(s): K1HTV
Station: K1HTV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Equipment Description:

Radio:    TS850 - 100 Watts
Antennas: (2) 160M Inverted-L's - also used for 20M & 15M
          (2) ZS6BKW's (modified 80M G5RV's) - used for 80,40 & 20M
          80M Inverted-L
          80M low dipole at 35 feet with 1/2 wave wire reflector on ground
          40M 1/4 wave wire Vertical
          40M low dipole at 25 feet - also used for 15M

Club Affiliation: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Was pleasantly surprised that I was able to sweep all 80 sections with low
power and wire antennas. I started the contest on 40M with a 71 hour, then
tried
20Mbut could only S&P at a much slower rate. I switched to 80M and had 61, 80
and 52 per hours rates between 23Z and 02Z.  From 02Z to 05Z my rates were
miserable, only 25-30 Q's/hour on both 80M and 40M. Between 05Z and 07Z the
rates increased to 50+ Q's/hour.

I found it tough using wire antennas on the higher bands after being spoiled
for years with 5el Hygain monobanders at the old MD QTH. But the wires did
produce the QSOs needed to complete the sweep.

I made short checks of 15 Meters at 1430Z, 1630Z and 1700Z in hopes of
picking up PAC, AK, VI, NT and other western VE sections. In checking 15 Meters
I found most of the sections needed. The first time I heard NP2B and 2 Alaska
stations I was unable to break the pileups and didn't want to waste too much
time on them.

By 20:00Z I had worked 76 sections but still needed AK, PAC, NT, and VI. I
Switched back one more time to 15 Meters in hopes of snagging some of them.
I found and worked KL8DX for section #77. Seven minutes later, KH7T was in
the log for section #78. A few minutes later I ran across VE8EV calling CQ
with
no takers. That was an easy QSO for section #79. I finally found NP2B higher
in
the band and snagged him for section #80 and the sweep. The 15 Meters treck
paid
off! Then it was back to 40M and 80M to try to run stations and bring up the
QSO
total.

I'm glad that the solar flux was high enough to open 15M to Hawaii, NW
Canada and the Virgin Islands. It helped many of the deserving to get the
sweep.

73 de Rich - K1HTV
www.k1htv.us