[3830] CQWW CW AD1C SOAB(A) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 30 14:09:08 PST 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AD1C
Operator(s): AD1C
Station: AD1C

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: CO

   40:  198    32       85
   20:  296    31       93
   15:  120    22       57
   10:   19     7        8

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Radio:     ICOM 765 Pro III
Antenna:   HyGain AV-640 Vertical
Software:  WriteLog 10.73

We had family over for the holiday (brother-in-law) so I declined an invitation
from K0RF and tried to work the contest from home during "off hours".  This
resulted in a 24-hour effort consisting of Friday from the start of the contest
until midnight, Saturday and Sunday mornings from about about an hour before
sunrise to noon, a couple hours before dinner on Saturday and the last few
hours of the contest on Sunday.  Despite the limitations (and poor conditions
on 15 meters compared to the phone weekend), I far exceeded my expectations.
DXCC in a weekend from Colorado running 100W to a vertical!

I worked more Europeans on 40 than I ever have since moving here.  The vertical
antenna definitely helped here.  40 meters to Asia/Pacific sounded better Sunday
morning than Saturday, with really loud (and plentiful) JAs.  However, DU1BP who
was booming on Saturday had only a so-so signal on Sunday.  9M8YY was also loud
on Sunday, but I could not get through.  I was disappointed that T88CI and
VK9XW didn't make an effort to get on during our sunrise, as I need those two
all-time on 40 meters.  At least I got VK6AA for the Zone 29 multiplier.

It was disappointing to see how early 20 meters closed to Europe both mornings.
 It was nice to work some of the Scandinavians on 20 Sunday afternoon well after
Europe had presumably disappeared.

15 meters to Europe was only slightly better on Sunday morning than Saturday
morning.  I worked nothing on the continent except EA, EI and F (technically,
EI doesn't count).  It was easier to work the various DXpeditions to Africa
like 5R, 9J and 9L, as well as ZS.

10 meters consisted of the usual zone 11 and 13 South Americans (plus HC8GR,
USA and VQ5V) when they popped through on Saturday, only a few more PY/LU on
Sunday.

One surprise for me was working the Pacific so late on 20 meters Friday night
(around 05z, 10 p.m. local time).  The band normally sounds dead here at that
time.  The biggest surprise, however, was working three different countries in
Zone 38 (A2, V5 and ZS) on both 40 and 20 meters!  9J and C9 (both on 40 meters
Friday night) were all-time new zones for me from Colorado.  Friday was a great
night on 40 meters for southern Africa, the best I've heard since moving here;
3DA0TM was on SSB with a good signal.

This year I made notes when I had a marginal QSO.  It will be interesting to
look at them again when the UBN reports are published.  I'm disappointed by the
stations who log me even though I'm sure they didn't copy my report.  Then when
I call them again later, they say we're a dupe!  One guy even took the time to
tell me what the time of the previous QSO was (he wasn't in my log, of course).
 Just work the station and move on, enough of this QSO-B4 nonsense!

Thanks to everyone who got out and got on.  This contest is the best of the
best.

73 - Jim AD1C

p.s. I can't wait to see the final published scores for USA SOHP and M/M.  I'm
sure Dan Rather would have something creative to say about how tight those
races are!

Country Breakdown by band:

          160M    80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total

    4O                     1                            1
  4U1I                            1                     1
    4X                            1                     1
    5B                     1      1                     2
    5N                     1      1      1              3
    5R                            1      1              2
    6W                            1      1              2
    6Y                     1      1      1              3
    8P                     2      1      2              5
    9A                     3      5                     8
    9J                     1      1      1              3
    9L                     1      1      1              3
   9M6                     1                            1
    A2                     1      1      1              3
    A3                     1             1              2
    BY                            2                     2
    C9                     1                            1
    CE                     1      2      1              4
   CE9                            2                     2
    CM                     5      1      3              9
    CN                     1             1              2
    CT                     3      2      1              6
   CT3                     3      2      1              6
    CU                     1      1      1              3
    CX                            2      2      1       5
    D4                     1      1      1              3
    DL                     9      9                    18
    E7                            1                     1
    EA                     5     12      2             19
   EA6                     2      1                     3
   EA8                     3      3      1              7
    EI                            1      1              2
     F                     4      6      1             11
    FG                            1                     1
    FK                            1                     1
    FM                     3      3      3              9
    FO                            1      1              2
    FY                     1      1      1              3
     G                     1      9                    10
    GM                            2                     2
    GW                     1      1                     2
    HA                     1      1                     2
    HB                     1      2                     3
    HC                     1             1              2
   HC8                     1      1      1      1       4
    HI                     1      2      1              4
    HK                     1      1      2      1       5
    HR                                   1              1
     I                     5      7                    12
    IS                            1                     1
   IT9                     2      1                     3
    J3                     1      1      2              4
    J7                     1             1              2
    JA                    26     41      9             76
    JW                            1                     1
     K                     1      3      2      2       8
   KH0                     1                            1
   KH2                     2      1                     3
   KH6                     4      5      4             13
    KL                     1      7      2             10
   KP2                     1      1      1              3
   KP4                     1      1      1              3
    LU                     2      4      8      6      20
    LX                     1      1                     2
    LZ                            1                     1
    OA                            1      1              2
    OE                     2                            2
    OH                     1      8                     9
   OH0                     1      2                     3
    OK                     3      6                     9
    OM                     2                            2
    ON                     1      1                     2
    P4                     2      4      3              9
    PA                     1      7                     8
   PJ2                     1      1      2              4
    PY                     4      9     14      6      33
    PZ                     1      1      1              3
    S5                     2      6                     8
    SM                            3                     3
    SP                     2      4                     6
    TF                            3                     3
    TI                            1      1              2
    TK                     1      1                     2
    UA                     2      2                     4
   UA2                     1                            1
   UA9                     4      2                     6
    UR                     2                            2
    V2                     1      1                     2
    V3                     1      1      2              4
    V4                     1      1      1              3
    V5                     1      1                     2
    VE                    25     35     11             71
    VK                     2      3                     5
  VP2E                                   1              1
  VP2V                     1      1                     2
   VP5                     1      2      2      1       6
   VP9                     1      1                     2
    XE                     7      2      2             11
    YL                            3                     3
    YN                     2      2      1              5
    YO                            3                     3
    YS                     1      1      1              3
    YU                     1      3                     4
    YV                     1             2              3
    Z3                     1                            1
    ZF                     1      1      1              3
    ZL                     1      4      4              9
    ZP                     1      1      1      1       4
    ZS                     1      2      2              5