[3830] CQWW CW W8AV M/M HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 30 14:17:07 PST 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W8AV
Operator(s): K4LT, AF8A, K8RMC, KK8D,W8AV, W8RZ
Station: W8AV

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Ohio

  160:   89    20       55
   80:  311    27       97
   40:  682    36      126
   20: 1109    36      136
   15:  434    29      103
   10:   40    14       22

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

We were a bit short on opertors to do a competitive effort in either M/S or M/2
so we decided to do a multi-multi and use the contest as a training session
for
some of our newer operators.  This gave everyone a chance to sit down at the
radio and either run or search for mults.

Other than the annoying interstation interference between the 20 and 40 meter
stations and a flaky receiver on the 15 meter radio, everything worked
perfectly
and we had a lot of fun which is the most important thing in this contest.  We
swapped out the 15 meter radio with one of the spares from the closet and that
solved that problem.  The 20 and 40 meter beams are currently only about 8 feet
apart so this aggravates the interference problem to a point where the
bandpass filters can not alleviate the problem.  Once the stacks are back in
place on these two bands next year, this should eliminate a lot of the
interference and additional filtering and stubs should take care of the rest of
it.

Thanks to everyone for all the Q's and spots.  I can see we will also need to
investigate the use of "skimmer" for the next big effort from here.