[3830] CQWW CW K8GL SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 30 17:25:23 PST 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K8GL
Operator(s): K8GL
Station: K8GL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MI

  160:   60    11       29
   80:  172    20       69
   40:  244    28       89
   20:  666    35      109
   15:  382    27       97
   10:   50    14       26

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

First:  Still can't figure the attraction of skimmers; or packet; or
"Super-check partial" lists.  I work my stations the old fashioned way:  I
LISTEN.  Henry Ford supposedly had the slogan "He who chops his own wood is
warmed twice" hanging over his desk.  That especially hit home when I stumbled
on a 9M6 on 20 with 45 seconds to go for a nice double mult.  What a great way
to end the contest!
Thus being said, I love cut numbers.  It is Morse CODE after all.

What a great contest!  The score was down from last year even though 15 meters
made a great comeback.  When all was said and done I almost worked DXCC on the
band. No rig problems either, save for the phased EWE's on Europe picking up
too much power line noise at times. I ended up listening on the VE3DO loop
pointed at Asia for most of the European lowband stuff.

Lot of great ops...and a lot of interesting African activity.  MRRC member K9NW
tore up the band from A25NW.  5R8ZO was loud on both 20 and 15...too bad I did
not hear him elsewhere.  CR3L and CR3E and EF8M were "beacons" for band
openings.  A few of the Africans and ZM4T/ZM1A were workable on 10 meters.

Thanks to the CQ folks for putting on one great contest!