[3830] PaQP W3USA/M(@K8MR/M) Mobile LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Oct 13 19:24:23 PDT 2009

                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: W3USA/M
Operator(s): AC8E, K8MR
Station: K8MR/M

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 15 Counties

  160:
   80:  129     53
   40:  202     44
   20:   60      0
   15:    4      0
-------------------------------------
Total:  395     97      0        0  Mults = 90  Total Score = 83,315.0

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Score includes 800 N3KAE bonus points and 7500 mobile bonus points.

By county:

      CW   SSB
MER   49     0
LAW   15     0
BUT   47     3
ARM   31     0
INN   36     4
CMB   26    14
BLA   12     6
HUN   10    18
CEN   19    10
CLE   39    13
CRN    5     8
ELK   26     5
JEF   16    11
CLA   39     5
VEN   25     0

TOT  395    97

SECS    45
CTYS    45

Again this year AC8E and I did a Sunday only route around WPA. I've decided
that driving/riding for 6+ hours after dark when 80 meters is the only real
band is not worth it. A big part of mobile contesting, and especially in PA at
this time of year is seeing the scenery while driving, which doesn't work well
at night.

Our route takes us through a 5 mile corner of rare Cameron county. Along this
stretch is a very nice trail head parking area where we've stopped in past
years. This year I decided that if we were going to spend an hour parked there,
we'd throw up an 80/40 dipole and have a chance to be heard.  The PAQP rules
don't allow mixing fixed rover setup operation with mobile operation, so we
used K8MR as the call while parked in CRN. Did exactly on hour on the air plus
setup and teardown time. See the K8MR report for more about that. We were in
fact low power, not high power as listed.

Conditions seemed OK other than an hour around noon in Blair county.  We had
the same thing happen last year, maybe there is something about that time of
day. Out of state activity did seem down a bit, with a number of the ususal
folks who follow around in the various states missing in action. Not sure what
that was about, maybe they can't take seriously a contest that requires a snail
mailed summary sheet?

Despite the break for the CRN portable operation, our score was up from last
year. 80 meters played well for most of the time. As we did in Ohio, we used a
"mini-window" concept of using 3540 for short frequent visits. Our 80 meter CW
QSOs were up a hundred from 2008, and with also more 75 meter visits had about
15 more counties.

All four 15 meter qsos were with NN3NN. Found that we could "QRB" (Q-can you
Run the Bands?) very efficiently. Had 20 qsos with Ty, plus one from the K8MR
CRN operations.

So a good time was had. The mobile gear has been packed away until next April's
Michigan QSO Party.  See you then!  (Plus in a few contests from home until
then).

73  -  Jim  K8MR