[3830] CQWW SSB K1LI SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Oct 26 05:32:39 PDT 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1LI
Operator(s): K1LI
Station: K1LI

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: VT

  160:   37     9       21
   80:  161    14       60
   40:  116    17       57
   20:  357    27      106
   15:  342    25      103
   10:   15     6        8

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This was a good news, bad news affair.

The good news: more than doubled the score from last year, made possible by
good propagation on 15m both days. Stayed in the chair longer than ever before.
Replacing the 6-ele LPDA at 70ft with KT34XAs at 90ft and 55ft should reduce
busted Qs due to the DX not copying my call correctly. Given the former antenna
and lousy propagation of the last few years, it was a thrill to work the Far
East near the end of the contest.

The bad news: Didn't take the numerous hints that "big signal" means I could
have done more running (vs. almost none). For the same reasons many have
already stated, phone contesting is not getting any more fun - the din is
nearly unbearable. Twice I told "superstations" that they were taking up
excessive spectrum and they immediately did something to substantially dial it
back - draw your own conclusions from that. On the "operator trouble" side, I
wasted about four hours because I was either using the multiband vertical
instead of the beams on 20 or because I was using the fixed lower beam instead
of the rotatable upper beam - need to implement automatic antenna selection to
at least cut out the vertical.

Net: happy with the improvement but could have done better. Really looking
forward to CW.