[3830] CQWW CW VE7UF M/M HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Dec 2 22:39:15 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE7UF
Operator(s): VE7UF
Station: VE7UF

Class: M/M HP
QTH: IOTA NA36

  160:  367    13       20
   80:  678    28       69
   40: 1206    34       95
   20: 1254    37      122
   15:  745    28       70
   10:   27     8        8

Club: ORCA DX AND CONTEST CLUB

Comments:

I was glad to have the station's hard core operators VE7FO and VE7AX back again
for this contest.  Very missed from lst year were VA7DX and VA7RN.  We were
glad to have Brian, VE7WEB, join us for his first multi op station cw contest.
Brian was concerned about his cw abilities at first.  Apparently he quickly
overcame them because his rates and errors were equal to the rest of us.  With
only 4 operators for 3 stations we were not able to have all 3 stations running
at all hours.

The activity was good and the low bands conditions were very good the fitst
night.  It was decided to to spend more time working mults than we did before.
We broke the station 80M and 40M mult record for this contest.  The high bands
were so-so.  It was nicce to have lots of JAs in the log on 15M for a change
but none on 10M.

We had little antenna-tower issues this time.  Thanks go to Lou, VA7LAP for the
good machine work he did fabricating parts for one rotating tower.  The 756PROs
did a good job for us in the CQWW RTTY Contest but not in this contest.  The
PRO 3 we had on 160M was keying from RF ingress from the other stations and at
times hanging up on transmitt until it was turned off.  At times the PRO 2 we
had on 80M did the same thing at the same time.  I apologize for the broken Qs.
 Removing all the cables from the PRO 3 except the power and antenna cables and
installing a .1 MF across the keying lines did not resolve the problem so we
reduced power until the problem went away.  We fought this situation for far to
long and finally came to the conclusion that the sum of our technical expertise
was not capable of solving the problem.  I have not been able to duplicate this
situation after the contest so I am still unsure why it happened.   I
substituted a TS850 for the PRO 3 for the second night and the problem went
away along with the good low band propagation conditions.

Otherwise we were happy with the results.  We broke the station CQWW CW point
record and I won a $5.00 bet I made with VE7ZO.  Our thanks go to all that
called.

73, Duane VE7UF