[3830] ARRL 10 K4LY M/S LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 12 17:59:42 PST 2010

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: M/S LP
QTH: SC

   CW:  326    82
  SSB:  205    55
-------------------
Total:  531   137  Total Score = 234,818

Club: Carolina DX Assn

Comments:

Every kind of propagation, and a mostly white noise at times. My club promoted
this contest so I decided to skip the 160M test and do this one.   First time I
ever entered a contest multi-op- me, myself, and I.  Reason- I wanted to see
what the Carolina DX Assn skimmer was like and get max score for club. Very
interesting, but not much advantage on a single band contest, is it?  Also, the
skimmer had beaucoup CW spots, but seemed to reduce the regular SSB spots for
some reason.  The other thing that made this contest interesting is that I put
up a new 10M antenna on Friday, an H-double bay with the top at about 55'
compared to my little tri-bander at 70'.  The H-double bay is a fine antenna,
bi-directional with a beamwidth of about 120 degrees in both directions and
only about 3 db down from my tribander when the two maximum beamwiths are
aligned.  I made well over half the contacts on the H-double bay and could have
worked just about anything on it.
Rig was my trusty old TS-850.  Used N1MM.  Never did hook up my SDR-1000, but
want to try that instead of skimmer and spots- which make for a very different
type of operating.  Should have hooked up a voice keyer.  About 90% S & P.
Thanks for the Q's, especially those few from Europe, Africa, and Oceania.  It
was great to have the Mexican states as mults.