[3830] CQ160 CW KA1ARB Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 1 14:15:51 PST 2010

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: KA1ARB
Operator(s): KA1ARB
Station: KA1ARB

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 144  State/Prov = 41  Countries = 13  Total Score = 21,384

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Up until this weekend, my few 160m QSOs have been on my 80m dipole where
working OH was a real accomplishment.  Something – I still don’t know what
–
Inspired me to put up an inverted-L and a couple of raised radials for this
contest.  Of course, I put it up during the big snowstorm on Saturday, but
what’s a little snow and cold?  160 Meters was calling me!

I was on for about 4 hours on Saturday night, a little running and mostly
S&P.  I’m reading now that condx were noisy Saturday night, but it didn’t
matter to me.  I was knocking out states, 20 then 30, who am I missing,
could I get WAS?  Wait, there’s the Carribean ... and suddenly I’m
outside
US/VE.  Then I heard a few whispers from Europe – could I actually work
them?  I got my first, then another, then another.  Real DX, Cool!  I
wasn’t
expecting that.

Maybe my expectations were too low, but I felt like a Novice again.  I was
buzzing with every AZ station.  And when’s the last time I got excited
about
working CA?  And my signal actually made it all the way to Europe!  Heck, I
was thrilled about hearing DL’s, and I didn’t even work any.

For another night, the magic was alive.

Thanks for all the Q’s-

Rob, KA1ARB