[3830] IARU W2IRT SO Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 11 05:26:53 PDT 2010

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W2IRT
Operator(s): W2IRT
Station: W2IRT

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: NJ

  160:
   80:   10      4      2      10
   40:   58     54     13      27
   20:  114    170     25      34
   15:    6     41     12      11
   10:
-------------------------------------
Total:  218    269     52      82  Total Score = 183,446

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Nice casual contest for me this year. A summer weekend means that I can't donate
a full day to contesting exclusively but I had fun as usual.

Lost about an hour when my MicroKeyer's rig control decided to crap out without
warning. The solution involved removing all lines running to the back of the
radio and re-connecting them. Time to look for a replacement piece of hardware!

Also, at the end of my operating time, my Mark V wouldn't transmit until I
power-cycled. I see a trip to the shop in its future, before CQWW-SSB, which
will be my next contest; after this weekend I need some time off!

Propagation wasn't great to Europe during the day on 15 or 20. Nowhere near
what I was expecting with an SFI of 80 and a K of 0 or 1. Things picked up in
the evening, however and 20 was open overnight with many European Russian and
Asiatic Russians worked. Biggest surprise was some trans-pacific activity
around 0600z on 15m, with loud signals from a handful of stations in Hawaii, VK
and ZL.

 Very few WRTC contestants in the log, however. I was beamed to Moscow for
almost the whole contest and had a goal of working as many WRTC calls as
possible, but in the end I don't think I got more than a half-dozen. Had two OK
runs but S&P proved more fruitful overall. I could easily have doubled my QSO
count if assisted was allowed! Oh well, them's the rules <grin>.