[3830] IARU R3/K9GY(@RM3A) SO CW HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Jul 15 06:27:42 PDT 2010

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: R3/K9GY
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: RM3A

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Moscow

  160:
   80:    19            3       4
   40:   362           20       8
   20:  1027           32      14
   15:   171            8       8
   10:    34            4       3
-------------------------------------
Total:  1613    0      67      37  Total Score = 528,424

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

A very big thank you to Leo RA5A, Pavel RU5A, George RN3AC, and Alex RN3AW for
making this operation happen.

Operation was at Moscow State Technical University
http://www.bmstu.ru/english/history.html which was established back in 1830.
Written approval in order to enter the campus was needed.

I was a tourist in Moscow before WRTC and was fortunate enough to be able to
operate a first class station during the IARU. This is probably my highest S/O
score in this contest ever.

Initial plans were to do a M/O as RM3A. Bob K5WA suggested that we do two
separate S/O since the two stations had enough antennas that were separate. So
all went fine for the first 3.5 hrs until Bob mentioned he had some difficulty
with QRM between the stations. Therefore we made some changes in order to equal
out the ability to run etc. So although the score is S/O it's somewhat dependent
on what band the other station was on etc.

Funniest moment of the contest was when Pavel said I needed to learn English.
We got good laugh out of that one. I spoke too fast for him at times...guess
that big city fast talking approach came through?

80: 2L Yagi NW (for USA), 2L Yagi E (for VK/JA)
40: Quad, 4L Yagi fixed S/SW
20,15,10: Quad, KT36, 4L SteppIR
FT9000, FT2000
Acom 2000a
OM power amp

I had a wonderful time in Moscow! This was a memorable experience and I will
always remember the great Russian hospitality! Amateur radio contesting has
some very special people.

73, Eric K9GY