[3830] ARRLDX SSB W5RU(@KN5O) M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 7 19:00:06 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W5RU
Operator(s): K1DW W5KB KN5O
Station: KN5O

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Covington, LA

   20:  717   110
   15:  665   109
Total: 1918   407  Total Score = 2,340,657

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Band conditions to our area were definitely not as good as they were during the
DX-CW weekend, but even so, we really had a great time.  Once again though, we
were short of enough operators to go the full 48 hours (congrats to the single
ops who go the distance - you definitely earn it).

Looking at our initial log stats, we had eight 6-band QSOs and 29 5-band QSOs.
We had a great run to JA/Asia Saturday evening starting about 7:30PM local time
and ran for nearly 2 hours before the propagation faded away.  On Sunday, we
had 3-to-4 periods where we were able to run Europe between 1 to 2 hours each,
starting early on 15M and then later in the day on both 20M and 15M.

As far as band conditions to our general location, all I can say is that 40M
was a big dissapointment for us.  Normally, we can do as well or better on 40M
than we can on 20M - but not this time.

Regarding 160M, since we do not have much of antenna for 160M (only a dipole at
70ft ), we really didn't expect much, but it played well enough out 1500-2500
miles and even got us into Europe and the Pacific for a few nice mults.

We did about average (for us) on 80M.  10M was again "NOT THERE" until very
late in the afternoon.  15M was pretty good, but it didn't give us much in the
way of short stuff for close in mults until later in the day.  And they were
tough to earn.

20M is still "the band" for us and judging by how crowded it was this weekend,
it held up to its billing.

A particular note of thanks to Ken, KE3X, for giving us the 4U1I mult on 15M.

So thanks to all who worked us and to those we missed, thanks for trying.  Hope
to see you in the upcoming CQ WPX.

73,
W5RU

Dallas, K1DW