[3830] ARRLDX SSB VK8PDX SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 7 20:10:12 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VK8PDX
Operator(s): VK8PDX
Station: VK8PDX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Alice Springs NT

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  145    65  Total Score = 28,275

Club: VK Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first ARRL SSB contest. Conditions to North America have been
terrible of late and the only USA/VE QSO’s I’ve been making have been on
PSK31 on 40m s/path and 20m l/path. So with only 100w, a simple vertical for
40m and 3 element monobanders for 20m and 15m up only 30ft and 25ft, I wasn’t
expecting much. Not to mention my QTH is the most inland spot in Australia –
anyway, enough excuses!! So let’s say the bar was set pretty low and my goal
was to make 100 Q’s so that I could qualify for an attractive ARRL pin. So at
least that was reached. I started off on 15m and was able to S & P the big guns,
some of whom were kind enough to swing their beam down to VK/ZL from their JA
bearing. There was nothing later on short path on 20m but 40m was quite
productive. Hearing 8P, P4, TI8, KL7, HC, KP4, PJ2, PJ4 and long path Europeans
brought a smile to my face in anticipation for WPX SSB in a few weeks. The next
morning at 2130 I was able to grab a dozen or so big guns via long path and by
2300 I switched to 15m. With low power and most W/VE’s beaming to the much
more beneficial JA path, it was tough going but the band was open until 0300.
Around 0200 I was even able to run for some west coast Q’s. Again nothing on
20m short path but 40m was good again and I was amazed to be able to get a
couple of 15 minute runs in all the mess in the crowded 7128-7200 segment, even
into RI and ME!! I again grabbed a few Q’s on 20m l/path at 2130 and spent the
last two hours grabbing mults on 15m. It’s just a pity that more VK and ZLs
didn’t participate to make it worth your while to spend more time beaming to
us, but I totally understand why. Thanks for the Q’s, I hope to work you on
15/20/40 at the WPX SSB contest where I’m hoping to give people the much
needed VK8 prefix. So during the 2300-0300 period, swing your 15m beams down
under, hopefully you’ll be pleasantly surprised :) 73’s