[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB/20 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 8 07:38:25 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6WQ
Operator(s): VE6WQ
Station: VE6JY

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Alberta

   20: 2145   128
Total: 2145   128  Total Score = 823,680

An interesting contest from the propagation perspective.  Friday night the band
seemed open to JA/Asia with very strong signals from the stations that were
worked but really very little activity from JA. Band closed about 0400. The
polar opening to Eu started surprisingly early at about 0630. For the next
several hours the band would open for about 30 min and then go flat for about
an hour and then open again. The Eu opening at about 1400 was very good with
several high rate hours. On Saturday evening again the band seemed open to JA
with strong signals but very few stations in the log. Closed about 0230 and
opened over the pole at about 0800 and unlike Saturday morning the Sunday
opening was very consistent with hundreds of stations in the log. Many
commented that we were the only signal on the band. So overall very good
extended EU openings and very little activity from anywhere else. The lack of
JA activity (or they were skipping over us) was a disappointment. Lots of
interesting DX called in over the weekend including 9K2K, ZC4TS, HZ1PS, several
VU's, several HS's, VP8LP, TY2SF, OD5/DL6SN, a couple of FR's, ST2AR and TL0A.

The antenna setup with 4 stacked yagis on a 200 ft tower and 3 on a 160 ft
tower, selectable in any combination, gave incredible flexibility. Equipment
was an ICOM 756ProII and Alpha 77D amp.

Only negative over the weekend was VE3NE coming on to the frequency I had
occupied for about 5 hours on Saturday morning calling CQ. I am pretty sure he
was hearing me tell him the frequency was occupied but his listening breaks
just became shorter. Don and I found this operating behavior quite
disappointing.

As always Don was a great host constantly making me coffee, making sure I
didn't nap too long and keeping everything running smoothly.