[3830] NCCC Sprint K3TN LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Mar 12 03:55:25 PST 2010

                    NCCC Sprint - March 12

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): .5

  160:   6      5
   80:  15     13
   40:  12     10
   20:   3      2
Total:  36     30  Total Score = 1,080

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Heard some loud signals on 20 at the start, so got seduced into spending time
there for the first time in months. While it was fun to work a 6 once again,
not very productive use of time - and put me out of synch with all the other
East Coasters who started on 40.

I tried some new macros and some SO2V but in the heat of the contest forgot
about the new macros. I had added an auto VFO A/B switch to my TU macro, so
when I had to leave a frequency it automatically changed the VFO. However, I
had been using a VFO A/B F9 macro to do that manually and I kept hitting F9 -
so after calling CQ and working someone, hitting enter to log the QSO would
switch VFOs but then I would hit F9 and switch them back. I kept thinking
everyone was forgetting they owned the frequency and were QSYing ahead of
me...

SO2V was mostly just getting used to listening to different CW streams in each
ear constantly, as having N1MM in SO2V mode with 2 entry windows totally
confused me and I turned that off early on. Using the sub-receiver in the K3
with only 1 antenna mainly just let me monitor the many jump ball frequencies I
lost while also tuning for a CQ on the other VFO. Great to have these practice
sessions - I am light years away from being productive at this.