[3830] WiQP KB9OWD SO Fixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 15 19:01:15 PDT 2010

                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: SO Fixed LP
QTH: Dodge County

  160:
   80:  109     58
   40:  122    166
   20:   53     38
    2:           1
  UHF:
--------------------
Total:  285    263  Mults = 113  Total Score = 141,193.5

Club: Fond du Lac ARC

Comments:

Had a great time!  Conditions seemed great compared to the last few years.
Participation was also great and there was super mobile activity that made it
hard to keep track of but well represented the 72 counties!

My hat goes off to Scott, KA9FOX!  This effort posted here is 13K better than
my best effort which was last year.  I only worked Scott on cw but knew I was
whipped if he was doing more than a casual few hours which indeed he was.  I
believe that wipes away the current record by a bunch!  Mad skills!  Great Job
Scott!  A great outing also by W9XT fixed just to my east!  2 great scores.

I reflect the comments of others in that 40 was great from here.  The past few
years, I started there but wound up on 80 quickly as 40 was just way too long.
This year, the band was great throughout the state and region.  I worked 37 in
the first 15 minutes on CW on 40 and had a feeling things would be different
there this year which they indeed were.

80 numbers are down this year due to great conditions on 40, however this made
for somewhat of a "fresh meat" affect and 90 of the 109 CW QSO's there occured
in the last hour.  I did miss a few counties here early that I didn't want to
give up rate for that I figured would turn up later.  My only "botched" county
came on 20.  I believe it was W9HB in Green Lake county (just to my north) that
was just audible on ground wave.  I called and he came back.  As I went to send
the exchange, nothing sent.  I realized a connection came loose on the keyer
and as I fumbled to get it back on, he was gone and never heard again.  So,
should have had that one!

Worked 66 counties, 44 states and 3 provinces.  Missed ME, ID, HI, DE, ND and
SD as far as states go.  VE3, VE4 and VE5 were worked for provinces.  I know I
missed Green Lake, Iron, Florence for sure without looking back for counties.
Only 15 meter QSO was a move from 20 with N6MU and only 2 meter qso was on my
first CQ on 146.550, working W9HAM/m here in Dodge County passing through.
Gave a few other fruitless CQ's there and that was it.  KP2, DL, SP and F all
called in on 20 for DX.  Worked DL3DXX on both 20 and 40.  I wondered late
where N4PN, the master of many a qso party was.  I do see now Paul was on but
never heard or bumped into him.  That was one other oddity!

Looking back, other than the botch on Green Lake county for a mult, about my
only mistake was enjoying the runs on SSB a bit much at times when I should
have been on CW for double the points.  Either way, a great time was had here
and thanks to all those that stopped by for a QSO or several.  Thanks to all
the mobiles for keeping us fixed guys on our toes and providing so much
coverage and to those throughout the US and abroad for stopping by for a
contact!

All CW was hand sent.  I got a little fat fingered a few times, but for the
most part no major concern.  This was done noting that I am having a problem
with the keying between the computer and rig.  It keys fine, however has a mind
of its own with speed.  For this contest, I use the N3FJP software.  With the
settings, when setting the speed between 30 to 38 WPM, it keys much slower.
When setting it at 40, it's much quicker. I have had the same issue with other
logging software such as CT so don't believe it's a software glitch. I tried
flipping out computers and that did nothing, same issue with a different
machine so seems that it is maybe at the rig end (FT1000 MK V).  Any ideas, e
mail me!

73 to all and see you in a few weeks as KZ9O in WPX SSB!

Ryan KB9OWD