[3830] NewEngQP K1ESE Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon May 3 04:19:38 PDT 2010

                    New England QSO Party

Call: K1ESE
Operator(s): K1ESE
Station: K1ESE

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ME

   15:      2
   10:
------------------------
Total:    787       0  Mults = 79  Total Score = 124,346

Club: White Mountain ARC

Comments:

It was another great NEQP!  After finishing second in Maine in low power a
couple of years to Whit K1EO, I decided if you can't beat'em, change
categories.  Went high power this year.

High power is somewhat of a misnomer.  I have an ALS-600 for 400-500 watts out.
 But, my only antenna is a center fed wire and the extra power helped,
especially on 20 meters.

My score was up from last year's low power effort by about 120 contacts.  I'll
give the amp the credit there.  Conditions seemed about the same as last year
with 20 and 40 doing most of the work.  I tried a couple of QSOs on 15 meters,
but mostly just heard EU stations there.  80 meter activity dropped off sharply
the last hour on Saturday night.  I guess folks were heading to bed earlier than
last year.

I had a great run on Saturday evening on 40 meters for an hour or so.  I did
over 90 QSOs per hour which is great for me.  Sunday made up for it with the
usual slow rates of 30 per hour or less.  But, I managed 18 hours of “butt in
chair” time and the total slowly grew.  I can see why folks go SO2R.  It gives
you something to do Sunday while the keyer sends endless CQs.  Lacking SO2R, I
spent some quality time with Freecell.

Overall I'm pleased with the station - K3, ALS-600, MFJ-998 tuner and a wire -
since nothing broke and I had a lot of fun.  Many thanks to those who stopped
by to add a few points.

73 de K1ESE
John