[3830] WPX CW K8CN SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 30 18:48:52 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Durham NH
Operating Time (hrs): ~ 14

Rig: K2
Ant: Lazy-H cut for 20M, fed at center of phasing line for multi-band
operation.

Whew, that was interesting! I can't recall operating in any previous WPX test,
but was determined to get back on the bands after an extended absence. I had
not even turned on the radio since ARRL DX CW weekend in February, and all of
my antennas were down due to windstorms.  Managed to re-hoist the lazy H and
update N1MM logger by 0030Z Saturday.  First night was OK if a bit rusty, but
Saturday daytime was unexpectedly tough -- was conditioned by ARRL DX test
results to expect good rates into EU on 20M, but that never materialized in
this test. I called in vain, but nobody in EU responded. Was the propagation
really that bad or was it just me? Began to feel as though the antenna repairs
were all for naught!  Things didn't feel much better on Sunday until late
afternoon when EU opened up for me on 20M (finally).  The usual family
obligations prevented greater time in the chair, but I had fun, especially on
10/15M.