[3830] CQWW SSB W7VJ M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 1 19:20:07 PDT 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W7VJ
Operator(s): WL7E, K0PJ, KQ7W, K7OG, K0XV, WR7G, N7NM, W7VJ
Station: W7VJ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: WA

  160:   15     6        5
   80:   91    22       36
   40:  482    33       81
   20:  748    37      118
   15:  432    30       82
   10:   77    11       14

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

First, a big thank you to a great team for their commitment to the effort.  K0PJ
drove nearly 70 miles each way twice to operate after being away from his family
for two months on business. KQ7W gave up an early trick or treat with his son to
stay for the whole contest, and N7NM brought food and operated after a 13 hour
work day.  Others gave up time away from family and free time to work
throughout the night and day.  Thank you all!

What a difference between Saturday and Sunday.  We could actually run EU on
Sunday on 20, when Saturday it was a real battle to make QSOs during the EU
opening.  Still, it was disappointing not to have any meaningful runs to Japan,
and it really seems that HF activity has really diminished from Japan in the
past few years. Every contest I am tempted to complain about conditions in the
Pacific Northwest U.S., but I always rememeber the advice of a fellow
contester, "If you want to improve your score, move."  Not likely.

There were some wonderful surprises.  Being called by 5Z4EE for a double mult.
Cracking a seemingly impossible pile up to V51YJ, working ZS6EZ on 10 meters,
and working 8J1RL for a double mult ten minutes before the contest ended, among
others.  Was also wonderful to work my Bavarian Contest Club friends and
actually know who I was exchanging reports with.

Station played well, the team dynamics and coordination improved, and now we
can confidently look forward to the CW contest, our favorite. The 80m 4 square
is still not fully operational, and we paid a price for that.  First priority
for antenna work next spring.

Many thanks to those who we contacted, and to the WW contest committee for
making the contests possible.

73,

Andrew
W7VJ