[3830] CQWW SSB N3RS M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 1 21:47:35 PDT 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N3RS
Operator(s): NA3D, N2SR, N3RD, W3CF, N3RS
Station: N3RS

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: EPA

  160:   54    12       28
   80:  444    26       86
   40:  985    37      122
   20: 1897    37      137
   15: 1390    34      134
   10:  214    21       58

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

In preparation for this contest season, N3RD and I made some major changes to
the station inside the shack.  A new 9 foot long table with three operating
positions was installed.  A multiplier station is located between the 20M and
40M run stations and was able to partner with either during peak hours.  On the
other table we made it possible to partner with the two band-switching positions
along with retaining the band-switching  capabilities of both positions.  My
thanks to Dave for the engineering of these changes.  The only change outdoors
was the addition of a new 4 element 40M OWA Yagi.

This was quite a weekend.  It started with a shortage of operators, then one of
the auto-switching ACOM PA's failed an hour and a half before the contest.  We
quickly reshuffled the amplifiers available an got started on time.  Conditions
were quite good and the ever present line noise only made sporadic appearances
this time.  Being short handed, we had only one station manned on the second
night for several hours.  To make matters worse, just before the end of the
contest we lost a second amplifier.  I guess we should be thankful that it
wasn't a serious loss, as there wasn't much going on on 10M or 160M, which were
the bands covered by that amplifier.

Despite all the above it was wonderful to hear 10M open again to europe.  Lots
of asians made it into our log on 40 through 15 meters.  The new OWA on 40M
worked very well and we did have some fun.  My thanks to Doug, W3CF, for
manning 20M most of the daylight hours and for newcomer, Mark, NA3D, for ably
filling in on all bands.  Dave, N3RD, was his usual outstanding self and Tom,
N2SR, did his usual job filling in on several bands hunting multipliers.  As
for the OM, I enjoyed playing with my new toy (the 40M OWA) and doing some of
the 10M operating, even if it was an SSB contest.

I am hopeful that we will have a full team for the CW contest and push a bit
harder for a better score.  Congrats to the KC1XX team and also WE3C for
outstanding efforts.  The M/2 category seems to have become more popular of
late.  The increasing SSN is really appreciated, so the scores should continue
to increase for the next few years.

See you all later this month on CW.

73 de Sig, N3RS