[3830] CQWW SSB OG5B(@OH5BM) Multi-Op Xtreme HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Nov 3 09:40:05 PDT 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: OG5B
Operator(s): OH5BM,OH5RF
Station: OH5BM

Class: Multi-Op Xtreme HP
QTH: SIMPELE FINLAND

   15: 1516    38      121
Total: 1516    38      121  Total Score = 530,000

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

OG5B:
Just some hours before the contest start, it occurred to me that why not try
the new XTREME class because I have the remote-sation ready.(so I thought..)
Quick e-mail to CQWW authorities if it is possible to take part even when
application comes late. Doug Grant showed the green light, and so some emails
sent to the two other remote owners. They said that "this came a bit suddenly"
in spite there were still ample time to start the contest -   4-5 hours...
So it happened that I was able to overtalk only Ville, OH5RF to this
experiment.
So we both needed to  use the same contest software in remote computer to get
the scoring right . So remote program like VNC or Teamviewer was needed.
Free Teamviewer5 was downloaded for the support program.
Then I was trying to register Win_Test 3.29 for the new computer, but
evidently
my old e-mail is no more forwarded to my new e-mail, because never got
registration code. No time to wait and communicate with WT-people who already
were runnin cqww contest(I supposed), so I dowloaded free N1MM program and
installed that on the new computer.
In addition to that N1MM was connected to the Ezmaster device which was routing
the audio to and from the IC-7700 rig.
We had no means to use PTT in N1MM, so Icom was left for VOX operation.
Computer was connected to the Microham banddecoder which was running Microham
Double Ten antenna Switch and banddecoder was sending also BCD code to the
1 KW linear if band change was needed.

Antenna tower was turned by EA4TX rotator card was inbuilt into the computer
cabinet and using computer powersupply.
SKYPE was used as an audio channel.
Ville OH5RF was located 80km away in Lappeenranta-city  with fast broadband
and OH5BM was on his summer cottage on the Lake Saimaa (biggest lake in
finland) first 20m of connection was handled by Wlan and then by radio WIMAX
connection 4km over the lake until it got into the normal internet cloud.
Somehow we decided to stuck on single band because 15 m showed to be promising
for a long time.
So our class/category is actually: MULTIOP SINGLE BAND XTREME

15m was nicely open in spite we got the late start and lost Saturday JA
opening.
The afternoon to USA was best for some years and next morning opened early
(4:30 UTC) to Japan but band closed also quite early.
Last station logged was K4SSU 16:50 and after that - in spite stations heard-
we were not able to raise their attention with our modest 6 over 6 and KW.

All the equipment and software worked flawlessly, but somehow ICOM ssb filter
was left a bit wide 3,0 KHz  !!.
So it could be nice if contest programs should have  possibilities to adjust
radio parameters like in HRD - so that mistake could have been avoided.
This Xtreme class do not put you too extreme environment, because you can
normally just sit in your home and do the operating from there.
Ville had some QRN, when YL was hoovering around and the DOG needed some
attention. I was sent to the boats to lubricate the old Blue Band Mercury
outboard motor for the coming winter, but fortunately it was Villes turn to
steer the station.
Now we experienced again the old saying:
"Contest starts always 3 days too early"
Maybe next time we are prepared in time.
Thanks for all greeting us on 15m.
Tapani and Ville