[3830] SS CW N3ZL(@WD4EOG) Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 7 19:51:45 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N3ZL
Operator(s): N3ZL
Station: WD4EOG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SC

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

100W, 4 el. tribander, 3 el. on 40m, dipole on 80m

I went to the (wacky) Clemson football game Saturday afternoon before the
contest and a few friends unexpectedly showed up at my apartment to visit for a
while after the game, so I got a slightly delayed start. I made it to the shack
a few minutes before 23z. I S&Ped a bit to start, then tried running on 20 with
no luck at all. I went to 40, same story. When I finally got to 80 the band
sounded really good, packed with very loud signals in the entire cw segment at
times. However, the FT847 in the club station here with no filters was so
overloaded it was tough to clearly copy even the loudest signals and anything
under S9+ was nearly impossible to copy. A few times I was able to run a
handful of stations but I really was expecting better luck, especially with the
the beams on the higher bands. At one point I CQed 15+ minutes on 40m sans
reply. I would have given up but got curious to see how long it would go.

I really would have liked to have kept going longer but I had a commitment for
Sunday so I need to get a full night of sleep. I was hoping to get back on a
little longer Sunday night but that didn't work out.

After I graduate, I'll actually be able to operate a SS for more than just a
few hours.

73 de Greg N3ZL