[3830] SS CW KL7RA(N6TR) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 8 09:52:30 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): N6TR
Station: KL7RA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AK

Many thanks to Rich, KL7RA, for hosting me for this contest.  No - this was not
a remote operation this year.

This certainly is a better result than I expected.  The contest is very
different from here than being on the west coast - or Louisiana.  There are
times that propagation is not very good and other times when it is worse.
However, thre are some really good times and those helped make up for it.

Most of the really good times took place on 15 meters as you can tell by the
band breakdown.  My average rate during my first four hours on 15 on SUNDAY
morning was 87 - with one hour clocking in at 105!!  That really helped me make
up a bunch of ground that I lost during the dead zone when the lower 48 is in
sunlight and I am still waiting for the sun to come up around 1700Z.  First
hour was my best ever at 134.

Rich has sure assembled a nice station here.  Was using 4/4/4 on 15, 5/5 on 20,
a full sized 3 element 40 and a 4 square on 80 meters.  Used a pair of IC781s
(first time with that radio).  They sure are a lot heavier than a K3, but
seemed to do the job just fine.  We had some power flickers before and during
the contest - but it waited until one hour after the contest to finally go out
for a few hours.  Great scheduling.

Missed VO1 - which seems to be what I miss most years.  Nearly broke my own
Northwest Division record - but it appears N9RV took care of that with his
excellent score from Montana.

Thanks for all the QSOs.  100 percent into LOTW sometime this week.  Some
pictures up on my gallery page - www.kkn.net/~tree/gallery